Monday, February 27, 2012

Breadmaking 101

This is my starter, which I could write pages on how to make one, different techniques, all the variables, etc.    I will keep this simple, through experimentation I found the way I like to make starter.  Breadmaking is an artform and the starter is your canvas...or stone, or whatever.  This starter I cheated a bit and used store bought yeast, I have made starter from nothing but flour, water, and molasses before, but takes too long.  This starter is about 2 cups water and 1 cup flour.  I added about 1/2 tablespoon of yeast to that, mixed it up, cut up a tshirt and got a rubber band.  Done, now you can let that sit on the counter for awhile.  You will need to feed it every day, Google it if you want to know more.  My bread I use about a 1:1 ratio of water to starter.  So for a cup of starter, one cup of water.  You can vary the ratio depending on taste and what June of starter you use.  Tons of variables, if you want to know more about making your own, message me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment